Monday, November 30, 2009

It's a hard knock life


When we first moved into this duplex, our neighbor warned us to lock up our bikes since her family had had several stolen from their driveway. I thanked her and passed the warning along to Lars who did not lock up his bike. A couple months ago it got stolen. Well, we bought Lars another bike for $15 and this time he locked it up. Today he was riding to a study group down main street. As he was crossing the entrance to the bank, some lady didn't see him and plowed right into him. He flew up onto the hood of her car (thankfully) and she completely mangled his bike. Fortunately Lars has the hardest head in the world and aside from a sore shoulder, didn't receive any injuries. But now we're bike-less again...

4 comments:

Wight Family said...

Wights do have hard noggins, in several ways! Sorry to hear about the accident though. That is a tough break!! And I'M SO GLAD he didn't break anything... unlike another Wight I know well who usually breaks something when there is a bike accident.

Dad F said...

Lars,

Sorry to hear about the accident. We hope that you will recover fully and not have any lingering problems. Did you get the lady's name? Is she willing to replace the bike? Did she say that it was her fault? If so a bike replacement should be at least offered. Tell her not to wait until Christmas.

Talking about bikes. I'm not sure how this was managed nor does it matter, but Andrew showed up in Cedar Falls back in September for my retirement. We went back home and he brings out this brand new bike from the garage as a retirement gift. He said it was "from all of us". So thanks to everyone. Anyway it is a beautiful bike, the manufacturer is Giant and the model is Rapid. With that I thought it was only fitting to have a partner to ride with. So Katherine and I drove to Andrew's bike shop, World of Bikes, in Iowa City. We met Andrew and purchased a new Bike for Mom on her birthday. Then we bought helmets and other accessories. So now Mom and I are decked out as riding buddies. However we try to stay off the roads and on the bike trails. I think that they are safer.

Get this we were biking today, 1 December 2009, outside on bikes in Cedar Falls, IA. Pretty nice eh? It must be that global warming thing. I'll take it.

Good luck finding a replacement bike. I do have several to choose from here. If you are still in need this spring let me know, we will bring it out.

Good luck with all that you are doing. We love you and look forward to seeing you and everyone else this spring.

Love, Gary & Katherine

Debra said...

Oh, my gosh! Use a car, Lars!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Oh geesh. I am so glad he's ok. I live in a college town and someone is always getting hit. Scary.

Sorry he's bikeless.

Laura