Saturday, November 14, 2009

Gratitude


"When gratitude fills our hearts, there is no room for unhappiness. Happiness does not depend on obtaining all the desires of our hearts. In large measure, happiness depends on our ability to feel gratitude for the abundance we already have."
- Carolyn Wright-

I was asked by the leaders of the Young Women in our ward at church to speak to them tomorrow night on the topic of having an "Attitude of Gratitude." In doing some reading on this topic, I came across this great article, "A Thankful Heart" by Carolyn Wright in the Liahona magazine, November 1994.

Then it listed ten ways to cultivate Gratitude. #3 was to "Carefully nurture every feeling of gratitude, no matter how small." That got me thinking of all the spectacular things I enjoy everyday and don't even give a second thought to having.

Here are 10 small things I take for granted but am VERY grateful for:
1. Music
2. My classy mini van, even if the windows don't roll down, one headlight is out and the brake pads need replacing :)
3. Dishes
4. Shoes
5. A computer and the internet
6. My talents
7. A safe, warm and dry place to live
8. Always having food
9. A comfy couch
10.Warm showers

I'm just getting started. I have SO much to be thankful for. I'm glad I have this opportunity to reflect on all these things...just in time for Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Debra said...

There are lots of things we are grateful for that we really don't think about. I started my gratitude list on my blog and add to it now and then...helps me remember the good things in life :)

Alli said...

Thank you for your lesson. We had a follow-up FHE on the topic (Todd thanks you for your lesson outline) and found out Claire is thankful for Daddy's fuzzy nubs and a nose where boogers can live :)