Sunday, November 22, 2009

i'm a mechanic



Our brakes have been loudly protesting lately. Ok, for a while now. We didn't want to spend the money to take it in to a mechanic because we know there are about fourteen other things wrong with our car that probably need immediate attention. Sometimes it's just better to live in ignorance! So, one of our friends offered to help us change them if we wanted since he had all the tools.

I really wanted to learn how, so we went over to their house on Saturday and Byron (our friend) got out all his tools, jacked up the car and took off the first wheel. The brake was just being stubborn. The thingy was stuck and wouldn't come off the other thingy until he finally had to beat it into submission. (And yes. Those are the official names for every part of my vehicle.) But it really took about an hour and a half to get this one side changed. I quietly observed, since I really had no helpful input, and when he finally finished he said, all right, you get the other side. So I hauled the tools around to the other side and within ten minutes I had the whole thing changed, put back together and tire on.

I know it had nothing to do with skill...but it sure was gratifying in a prideful, boasting sort of way. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL! Yeah, that's right, I screamed it.

Debra said...

You rock!!!