Friday, January 23, 2009

What was I thinking?



Tuesday Heidi had her four month check up (a few weeks late). I had the brilliant idea to bring Emilia in to get caught up on her shots and Naomi in for her kindergarten visit...all at the same time. I was grateful the nurse brought us to a rather large room, so at least we had room to breath (not that anyone was doing that anyway). I had prepared to be there for a while and so the girls pulled out the toys and books I let them bring. They were playing peacefully...and then the doctor walked in. We had three very different responses from the girls. Heidi, of course, had no idea what was going on, so she gave the guy a big cheesy grin. Emilia started cheering, really. Arms up with an enthusiastic "Hooray!" Naomi freaked out! She laid across the chairs, on her back, kicking her legs and screaming "memememememememe" in her amazingly loud, high pitched tone. She kind of looked like a beetle, when they get stuck on their backs and are trying frantically to turn over, except she wasn't trying to turn over, she was fearing for her life.

The doctor checked over all three girls. Heidi has grown 5 inches and weighed in at 15 1/2 pounds. Yaya just hit 30 lbs. with shoes on and Naomi was 43 lbs. They were all healthy, no questions, so on to the main event...shots.

Yaya wanted to go first. She hopped up on the table and put on her brave face. She fared pretty well and as soon as those band aids were on she was fully recovered and begging for her orange tic-tacs...my no fail cure-all.

Naomi was next. The first two times I tried to put her on the table (with one arm and Heidi in the other), she stayed curled up until she was just about on the table and then would plant both of her feet against the side of it and shove herself (and me...and Heidi) backwards. The observant nurse, clearly seeing this was a hazard to all of our lives, went and got some assistance. I decided it would be less traumatic to all if the other nurse held the baby rather than wrestling Naomi to the table. So I hopped up on the table and held Naomi in my lap and gave her a big giant hug while she caused temporary deafness in my ears...and then it was over. The second we got off that table she was giggling. Sometimes I seriously think she is exhibiting bi-polar tendencies. So then I sent the girls out of the room with the nurse to get some stickers while Heidi had her turn.

I don't feel quite so bad because she has such meaty little thighs. But I always do think it's kind of a mean trick because babies have no idea what's coming. Mom is standing over them, smiling, giving them a false sense of security, and then WHAM! out of no where someone is shoving needles into their legs. But I try not to think about that, or rack myself with guilt, and pass all that on to the school system who requires immunizations for enrollment in public school. It's all their fault. (Feeling better.) But Heidi did well and stopped crying the moment I picked her back up again.

I can hardly wait for Monday...Leah's turn.

3 comments:

Debra said...

lol...don't miss that. you should try holding a baby for a spinal tap...i've done that a couple times when i worked E.R. NOT fun

Anonymous said...

LOL. I've been waiting for this post. Not that I was excited to hear about the shot trauma, but that I knew you would put a Shar (funny) spin on it. Funny, the word verification word here is begloope.

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh...alot. :)