Monday, January 12, 2009

Can we PLEASE differentiate?


My girls all like to take "bath-showers". This means they all crowd into the bathtub together, turn on the shower and plug up the bath. Sometimes I think this is a great idea because all my children (who can stand) get bathed at once and so does my bathroom which always needs a cleaning. Well, today they all piled in as usual and I was in the next room when I heard a truly panicked scream. Not just one, but several screams steadily increasing in frequency and volume. Immediately my mind flashed back to when Leah was about eighteen months old and we were bathing her in my father in law's bathtub. I turned to get a towel and she found a razor. She got a tiny cut on her finger, but it was bleeding so much and she kept wiping it all over her body so when I turned back around, my baby was sitting there covered in blood. Ok. So i'm imagining a repeat, except it would have to be much, MUCH worse to constitute this type of reaction. I bolted into the bathroom, honestly knocking over Naomi who had just gotten out of the tub, left her sprawled on the floor, ripped open the shower curtain to find Leah...with a bit of shampoo in her eyes. "It's burning! It's burning! I can't even open my eyes!" Really? So I got her a cold washcloth, turned off the water so it would stop flowing into her eyes and she immediately calmed down. After a minute she opened her eyes and said, truly relieved, "It's a good thing I didn't go blind!" Good thing honey. Oh, and the next time you scream like that, you had better be running from a bear.

5 comments:

~Tiffany said...

Haha... your girls make the best stories. I can so see Leah doing that and acting as if its the end of her life!!

Leslie said...

I am getting a visual, and it is cracking me up! Especially the last part of your post.

Anonymous said...

I love these stories you post.. Best of all, your reaction to the girls craziness is hilarious.

Wight Family said...

Running from a bear, bleeding to death, starting the house on fire, or missing a limb all make it okay to scream like you're dying... but you have four girls, so I will assume that you will experience many more discussions just like this. But I pray that you don't because all that adrenaline is exhausting when you don't have a bear to bully club beat down, blood to stop, children to rescue from burning houses or limbs to beat children with (ooops, that is what my mother always threatened me with... slap hands now) limbs to reattach.

Go for barbies.

Debra said...

lol hillarious