Sunday, January 3, 2010

a weekend away..WITHOUT THE KIDS


Lars on Newport dock


Shar-the only Oregonian to carry an umbrella


some super cool seaweed on driftwood


Lars saving a fish by throwing him back out to sea


beautiful Ona Beach

Lars and I had our 9th anniversary on December 2nd. We finally got around to celebrating this past weekend...after finals and all the holiday festivities were over. Grandma Ingrid came down from Hillsboro and stayed with the girls so we could get away. My friend owns a beach house in Waldport, OR. It's about a two hour drive from here and considering my amazing talent of falling asleep within the first three minutes of any trip, the drive went extremely fast! When we arrived it was a lovely rainy January 1st. We walked around the bay front in Newport and tried a new restaurant there, Rogue Public House. I got an amazing quinoa, black bean salad and Lars ate a delicious Reuben Sandwich. Well, I'm assuming it was delicious since I didn't even get to sneak a bite before it was gone.

I had brought a bunch of projects with me to finish up on Saturday because I was sure I would wake up at 7 am out of habit and have a few hours to kill before Lars got up. I was wrong. I woke up Saturday at noon! It was amazing. I don't think I've EVER slept that late in my whole life. We spent the remaining daylight hours exploring the beaches in between Waldport and Newport. There were so many beautiful and amazing things to see. We even got some sunshine! That evening we found another great place to eat called Nana's Irish Pub, in Newport. We shared some fish 'n chips (the best I have ever eaten) and a delicious mushroom and steak pie. We had to roll each other out the door, we were so full...but it was SO worth it! We walked up to the beach one last time before we went back to the house.

Late Sunday morning we woke up, packed up and headed home. We missed our girls, but we can't wait to go back!

2 comments:

Wolfley Family said...

CONGRATS on 9 years!!! We're about 7 months behind you (July 20th is ours). What a fun sounding weekend you had - and the picture of the beach is amazing!!!

Laney said...

Time sure flies! What a great trip. And if I didn't like you so much, I'd have to hate you for being so beautiful. You're even more so than before your 4 girls! Congratulations!