Thursday, January 7, 2010

"Clean up on Aisle 3"


This morning I ventured to the grocery store with Yaya and Heidi. Just for a visual, Yaya's outfit today was pink and white striped flannel p.j. pants with a red, white and black plaid skirt on top. She put on a red long sleeved shirt with a pink t-shirt on top that said, "Jersey Chicks Rock". She completed the outfit with pink suede Mary Janes and was ready to go!

At the store the girls were out of the cart helping me pick out produce. Yaya had a bag of her own and was ever so carefully manhandling the bananas and throwing them into her bag. Then she picked out some grapes and smashed half of them as she crammed them into the bottom of her bag. I was picking out some tomatoes when Heidi spotted the bulk bins.

Even though Heidi is only one, she already has developed a precise ability to spot sugar anywhere. If there is any candy anywhere, she'll find it. She ran straight to the bin with M&M's in it and started doing her "gimme" dance. Any time she really wants something, she starts bouncing, pointing and squealing. So I tried to distract her and turned back around to finish getting my produce.

The next time I looked over, Heidi had a gummy worm in her mouth and one in each fist. Yaya was on the floor cleaning out all the candy that had dropped beneath the bulk bins and cramming the candy, and probably a few dust bunnies, in her mouth.

At this point, most mothers would freak out and rip the nasty candy away from their kids and out of their mouth. (I happen to be hoping for a mother of the year nomination here)...I didn't do anything at all. Secretly I was happy they found it so they would quit whining and begging me for candy. So far, no one has developed a mysterious rash, so aside from it being just gross...all's well that ends well. :)

1 comment:

Debra said...

Ewwww...your kids like eating off the floor, don't they?