Friday, October 16, 2009

should i be worried?


Yaya, my little one horned devil, is a LIAR. She straight face lies to me hourly. I'll give you two examples from this morning alone!
1. There is a strict food stays in the kitchen rule in my house. Yaya came running into the kitchen from her bedroom yelling, "Heidi made a mess with yogurt!" So I went back to her bedroom and there was yogurt all over the bed and carpet. Sure enough Heidi had a cup of yogurt and spoon in her hands, so I figured she must have grabbed it off the table and taken it back there. As I was cleaning it up I noticed it was not only on the bottom bunk bed, but also on the ladder going up to the top bunk and on that sheet as well. I also found a hot dog on the top bunk with pencil holes poked in it. The more likely story was that Yaya brought the yogurt up to the top bunk and dropped it before Heidi got the yogurt cup and ran off with it.
2. Yaya was standing on the chair eating a broken off chunk of chapstick. I asked her to hand it to me. She innocently handed it over with the explanation, "Heidi did it." I then asked her for the tube of chapstick, which she also had in her possession. She handed it to me with the explanation, "Heidi had it." Really? Like I couldn't see you standing two inches from me chewing on the broken off chapstick ?
I don't want to give her a lot of attention about lying and somehow adversely encourage her to lie even more. I have explained to her countless times what lying is and why it's important to tell the truth but like everything else in life, she just doesn't believe the the rules apply to HER! Help!!

5 comments:

Wight Family said...

Oh Shar! You have your hands full with this one. How old is she again? It sounds like such a 4 year old thing to do... and they are just testing the boundaries, for the holes in the fences like the raptors in Jurassic Park. I say you're doing the right thing by not drawing attention to it. I have probably said things to my daughter that I regret to this DAY about lying and her behavior that may or may not have caused damage for whatever reason. I'm no child psychologist, but I think you're doing a good thing. Maybe teach her to hide evidence better?? ;)

Tanners said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tanners said...

this story reminds me of the time my mother was walking down the stairs and watching the older of two brothers paint hot pink finger nail polish on the wall. as soon as he heard the stair creak he handed the nail polish to the younger brother who was conveniently standing right next to him.

The Duckers said...

Good luck with that!!!!
We always tell Carson he'll get in more trouble when he lies vs. telling the truth. And we stick to it. It's been getting better.

Alli said...

Little sister makes a nice all-purpose excuse, huh? Poor Heidi! Maybe try a few hellfire and damnation speeches on her :)