Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Shamelessly living vicariously through my children

As school picture day approaches I am finding myself having a very strange and strong impulse to pay a ridiculously large amount of money for sub-par school photos. As I've been thinking on this I remember longing to be the kid at school that got the really thick packet of photos. You know, the ones with enough pictures in it to actually hand out to ALL of your friends, and not just the first eight people who asked you for one and you felt too guilty to tell them no, even though you didn't really care about them at all. Yeah. Thankfully there is a voice of reason in this house. His name is Lars. He tends to remind me at times like these, that it is actually quite impractical to spend sixty dollars on school photos. Especially in light that we are getting family photos done this same month by my very talented and creative friend who's pictures are guaranteed to be 800% better than any school picture.



But this strange impulse just got me thinking about some things I wanted as a kid that if my girls were ever to ask, I would definitely say yes to...until Lars talked me out of it. Here are a few...and none of you had better give this list to my kids.



1. Hairstyling doll...especially the kind that you could cut their hair and it "grew back".

2. A science kit with real chemicals that you could mix. (I went through a phase of being obsessed with Thomas Edison. Could be worse.)

3. A giant barbie house...the one with the elevator.

4. The toy powered car that you can actually ride in.

5. A pocket knife. Don't ask me why. I just always wanted one.

2 comments:

Tanners said...

shar i think you are old enough for a pocket knife, would you like me to send you one? i'll try to find one in pink barbie print.

Debra said...

I wanted the barbie house with the elevator too! Instead Kira has six Littlest Pet Shop houses (one with an elevator, even). So you don't think I am too indulgent, I will tell you most of them she bought herself w/ birthday money or got as gifts. Dale had the science kit. I remember him putting boogers on the slides and looking at them under a microscope. How did he not turn out to be a scientist!?
I bought my kids all kinds of crap I wasn't allowed...PlayDoh (dad said it would get in the carpet), an easybake oven (dad said i would burn the house down). I am overindulgent and it is a sin. Shame on me.