Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The girl who cried wolf


This morning Yaya was playing on the computer and chewing some gum.
Yaya-"Mom, could I have another piece of gum?"
Me- "What happened to your other piece?"
Y-"It fell out of my mouth."
Me-"Out of your mouth into your stomach?"
Y-"No, onto the floor."
Me- "O.K." I responded, immediately knowing she was lying again, "Get down from the chair and find it."
Y-"I can't."
Thankfully Lars was in the kitchen as well. We exchanged a silent look, ensuring we were on the same page, but I still couldn't pull it off with a straight face.
Lars-"Yaya, turn off the computer and find your gum."
Immediately Yaya's lip started to tremble and her eyes filled up with tears. For some reason it's not as easy to lie to Daddy.
Y-"I can't (sniffle) find it (sniffle)."
L-"If you just admit that you swallowed it, you can turn the computer back on."
Yaya's whole face lit up with excitement for this unexpected easy out.
Y-"Ok. I swallowed it."
At that moment I had to turn around and hide my face so she couldn't see me laughing. Lars then sternly reprimanded her for lying, and then took the time to tell her the story of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. Maybe it sunk in this time???

2 comments:

Debra said...

Poor little thing. She'll get it eventually.

Tasha said...

it's so true! it was easier to lie to my mom then my dad!