Friday, June 26, 2009

Can I get a witness


In the past week, I have been approached two different times by Jehovah's Witnesses. Now, I am not opposed to people wanting to share their love of Christ, bring it on. My only request is observe first before you approach someone.

The first encounter was at my home. Naomi was throwing one of her grandiose fits. My front window was open so I'm sure this woman and all my neighbors could hear her. If it were me going to different people's houses, I probably would have done an about face and left the poor mother alone. But this woman didn't. She knocked and I answered the door. I literally couldn't even hear what she was saying. All I got from it was something in Salem, real costumes and hope to see you there. Right. Can I bring my kids?

The second encounter was as I was loading my four children and one of their friends in my van as we were leaving the park. Of course I don't expect them to know this, but the only reason we leave the park is because someone has to go to the bathroom...right now!! So I had everyone in the car and was attempting to strap Heidi in when three women walked up. The youngest gal handed me a tract (which Heidi promptly ripped out of my hand and shoved into her mouth) and asked if she could read me a verse from the bible. Um, Ok. So one of the gals read me some verse about finding joy in life and in Christ as Heidi was struggling to escape her seat belt, Yaya was doing the potty dance and the other girls were debating over who should buckle their seat belt first. I thanked her and then another woman piped in, "You sure have your hands full. You must be a child care provider, or an educator...." I interrupted, "Or a mother." Shock masked with delight, "Really?! Are they all yours?" "Mostly." I responded, shut my van door, waved good bye and left.

Now, if roles were reversed, I would have left me alone in both instances, but perhaps they really thought I could use some peace in my life and were just trying to help. Thanks, but next time just hand out tranquilizers and read me the instructions.

1 comment:

Amanda Davis said...

I just found your blog from Allison's... so now I am spying on you... I loved this post and all the others. You make me laugh and are sooo honest and true to life! Thanks for being a real mom!