Friday, June 4, 2010

my brother is a TANK







Picts of Andrew racing, me hugging him after his crash (so I was scared to touch him)our awesome family cheering section, and liz demonstrating how the tacky couch cushions would offer their protection.

Ok. So Monday, we went to my brother Andrew's bike race. It was a street race and they just did the same lap 30 times. There were so many people and they were going so fast. It was intense. Before it started we were laughing that there were old couch cushions tied around the poles of the street signs with twine (notice the picture of my sister Liz crashing into it:))

After the race had started my neice Georgia was getting antsy, so I took her by the hand and told her I had something really funny to show her. We started walking down to the couch cushions and the bikers came around the corner and about ten of them wiped out and were flying all over the place. One of them crashed through the barricade about five feet from where we were standing. If we would have been all the way to the pole, he would have crashed right into us! It was crazy.

Amazingly my brother made it through that crash and several others, but at one point, part of someone else's bike got caught in his spokes and he wiped out skinning his arms, legs, cracking his helmet and giving him a goose egg, and tearing a nice flap on the side of his uniform. It was disappointing since he was doing really well, but he's a good sport and knows it's just part of the game. Thankfully there were no major injuries and it was great to be there to cheer him on. I'm so in awe of his abilities to race like that. It's amazing.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I think I will just tell people to look at your blog for the stories, you tell them so well! Love you!