Sunday, June 6, 2010

Just like the movies


To bring in a few extra bucks each month I have my assortment of odd jobs...piano lessons, cleaning etc. Well, I just added a new one to my collection. I serve papers for a lawyer, as in "You've been served."

Now, you may be thinking to yourself, "How did Miss Non-confrontational agree to a job like this?" It's quite simple really. Money. Up to this point in my life I have never sold my plasma for twenty bucks a puncture or peddled knives door to door and I would like to keep it that way. With this job, all I have to do it track down criminals and risk having them hit me in the face as I verify their identity and hand them an official envelope.

My first "delivery" turned out to be quite an interesting experience. The first time I drove to Tawnya and Mikee's house (and no, that was not a type-o. They really spell their names that way.) I brought my friend with me because I was scared. So we went up to the door and rang the bell. I could hear the T.V. on upstairs but no one answered. I knocked, but still no answer, so we left it at that and went home. The next day I showed up again and this time there was a car in the driveway. I could hear someone coughing through an open window so I knew someone was home. I rang the doorbell but no one answered. While I was standing there I was looking around and noticed a bird house hanging above the door. Fine, except inside the hole there was no bird. There was a camera. That kind of creeped me out and since I was alone this time I just bailed.

I told the lawyer what had happened so we had to move onto Plan B. Apparently these two geniuses were selling some items on Craigslist so we created a fake email account and expressed interest in the items. Unfortunately for me, Mr. Lawyer created the account as Joe Somebody and being as I am not a man, had to enlist my manly husband to be "Joe". A meeting time was arranged and Lars showed up. They asked him if he was Joe and Lars had to say yes. So he asked them if they were Tawnya and Mikee, they confirmed that they were, and he pulled the envelopes out of his coat pocket and said, "You've been served." Lars gave them a sloppy salute and walked away. This is by far my most favorite job.

4 comments:

Debra said...

love it!

Janica said...

This lawyer had better be paying you good enough that you stay here!

Wight Family said...

That is awesome! Lars could do well with acting one day if the teaching thing doesn't pan out. ;)

Reggs said...

W-O-W. Just reading that gave me the heebie jeebies. Stay safe out there! Maybe we can start a taser fund for you.