Wednesday, September 2, 2009

I've been absolved!


A while back I blogged about the blue jay that had adopted us, Biscuit. Well, when we were having our ant problem I had thrown a piece of toast with jelly on it outside. When it was swarming with ants I went out and saturated the toast with ant poison. A little while later, Biscuit (the blue jay) came flying down and saw the toast. He started pecking at it. When I saw him eating it I started banging on the window to scare him away. He did fly away, but he took the whole piece of poison toast with him. I felt awful. Now, I'm not a huge lover of animals, but I did feel a bit of guilt for killing the girl's "pet bird".

I kept hoping that the bird had enough of a brain to realize maybe it tasted funny and didn't eat the toast, but I didn't see Biscuit for weeks. I thought for sure he was a-gonner. Finally today Biscuit came back! It may sound strange, but I recognized his "voice". And sure enough, he was hopping on the fence looking around for food like he always did. One less thing I need to ask forgiveness for today. :)

3 comments:

Debra said...

There now. Don't you feel better?

Alli said...

Lesson learned: ant poison - not effective at killing birds. Got it.
:)

Wight Family said...

Whew!! You had my heart almost stop.