Monday, September 28, 2009

the dishwasher dilemma


We live in a rental home right now which means our appliances are "bottom of the line". I understand why owners do that, but it doesn't change the fact that my dishwasher is completely useless. I have to hand wash my dishes before I put them in the dishwasher. If there is any food left on the dishes one of two things will happen; 1. Absolutely nothing. They will come out exactly the same as I put them in. or 2. If by some miracle the food does come off, it just swirls around and sticks on another dish. Then when the wash cycle is over and it starts to dry, my entire house smells like melting plastic. So here's the dilemma. I still use it. I don't know why it seems easier to wash my dishes and re wash them in the dishwasher rather than just using it as a drying rack, or putting them away. I know I'm using unnecessary energy and water, but I can't help it. Maybe I have a minor case of OCD. Is this normal?

2 comments:

Wolfley Family said...

I know this sounds like product placement, but we've learned with rentals over the years that the older the dishwasher (or more used anyway), we have to use the more expensive soaps to make them really work. We love new dishwashers where we can use generics :) However, when we're working with an older dishwasher, seriously the only soap that works for us is Cascade Complete with Bleach - seriously it has to be that one. Even the other Cascades don't work.... I don't know if your dishwasher is beyond even that soap but thought I'd offer the info :)

Debra said...

Ask the polar bears! ; )