Saturday, August 1, 2009

I hate ants.

The other morning I woke up and walked out to the living room. After a few minutes I noticed a large black mound on the floor. Upon further inspection I realized it was the remnant of a hot dog completely covered in ants. Only then did I notice the black line of them making a trail from the hot dog, across the floor, up the wall and out the window where the air conditioner is. I immediately cleaned it up and vacuumed obsessively for the next hour trying to get every last one of those dirty ants. Then Leah and I taped all around the air conditioner so there was no way for the ants to get in through there anymore.
It worked.
But the ants didn't give up.
Apparently word had spread through the ant community that there was a smorgasbord of food constantly being served by four little girls at the Wight house who could never quite remember to keep their food at the kitchen table.
So the next morning I woke up to find ants all over the fireplace and a certain some one's pop cans that never make it out to the recycling. So we cleaned that up.
The next morning I woke up to find the entire surface of my kitchen table black with ants. I freaked. I threw everything out the back door, garbage can, rug, chairs and performed a mass execution on these intruders. I scrubbed my table, chairs and floor and spent the rest of the day on the prowl for any ants that may have escaped.
That night Lars went and bought ant spray. He sprayed all around the house and all the problem areas. It looked promising. But...
The next morning the ants found my sink and my cupboards. They were in my cereal boxes, raisins and running up and down my walls and behind my cupboards. Last night Leah stayed up and helped me scrub down my whole kitchen until 10:30. She was so helpful. They also found their way into my bedroom and were crawling on me last night in my bed. Sick!
This morning Naomi suggested we just move into a new house that doesn't have ants. I'm just about ready to start looking for one. :)

4 comments:

The Mostess said...

Agh!! Gross. I hate ants. in my house. and outside.

Debra said...

Time to call the exterminator

Anonymous said...

They're mini cockroaches aren't they?!! If you know where they're coming from outside, pour boiling water all over they're cozy little domain. We did this for a couple of nights and that helped with the front-of-our-house ant problem and lots of ziploc bags and vinegar helped with our back-of-the-house-and-kitchen problem. We put everything with a sent in a ziploc bag and sprayed the whole kitchen with vinegar. This was the beginning of summer and we haven't had ants since. Good luck sista!

Anonymous said...

I mean 'Scent'. :)