Thursday, April 9, 2009

No more scary movies


Lars and I love to watch murder mystery shows together, Monk, Psych and Castle. One downfall to this bonding time we share is that I find myself assuming that every situation is in the thick of a mysterious, murderous plot. For example, we live in a duplex. Every now and again (if it happens to be quiet in my own house) we can hear our neighbors fighting. Normally, not a big deal, but if I have just finished watching a show I am constantly checking the clock while listening to them fight so when the police come to investigate I will be able to accurately tell them, "At 10:14 I heard yelling. Then someone hit the wall three times and a door slammed and the yelling stopped. She seemed so nice, I never would have imagined."

Well, Tuesday night I went swimming. I got there at about 9:15. Another man got out of his car and started walking up to the pool at the same time. I recognized him as another "regular" swimmer, but even so, I slowed my pace and waited until he went in and I heard the door to the men's locker room close as well. I had to take precautions in case he was planning to hold the door open for me, but then really take me into the men's locker room and...so the paranoia begins.

I swam until 9:55 not paying attention that all the girls had left the pool. I got out and went back into the locker room and started to shower. All of a sudden it occurred to me that I was alone, in a locker room, showering, late at night. This was the prime set up for one of the shows I had been watching. Just as I'm starting to freak myself out with these thoughts, the lights in the locker room shut off. I froze. I started listening for any sound...any movement. Should I leave the water running and go back into the pool? Should I shut off the water and bolt out of there? But if I shut off the water I could be letting whoever was waiting for me know that I would soon be stepping out into the darkened locker room. I decided to take the risk of looking like a paranoid idiot and go back into the pool to at least ask the lifeguard (what a comforting name) if the lights shut off automatically at ten...or if he would walk me out of the building. I left the water running, just in case, and tried the door back into the pool. It was locked. Ok, breath. I'm sure I'm just psyching myself out. I decided my best plan was to just get the hellen out of there before I either got killed or had a panic attack. So I left my wet suit on and pulled my clothes on over it as fast as I could in the dark. I had to run past the pitch black bathroom stalls to get out the door. As I ran past them the light turned back on. Instead of logically realizing that the lights were run on a motion sensor, I figured my stalker had flipped them on so he could see me better as he killed me. I bolted out of there as fast as I could and ran all the way to my car.
I already have a fear that someone is hiding under my car and when I stop to unlock the door they will grab my ankles and slice my Achilles tendon completely incapacitating me. In my state of panic, this pre-existing fear was magnified. I'm sure if anyone was watching it was rather comical to see a girl busting out of a building, running full boar to a car, standing three feet from the door while leaning over to unlock it and then jumping in and slamming the door, locking it and speeding away like a mad woman. I hope someone got a kick out of it because all I got was an elevated heart rate and a realization that I have a very unhealthy dis-ability to separate my own reality from the situations that are created on T.V. for "entertainment". I think Lars and I are going to have to find a new hobby :)

9 comments:

Leslie said...

honestly....this is exactly why i no longer watch scary movies or tv. true story.

meghan said...

it is so refreshing to know that i am not the only one who thinks like this. i am going to have my hubby read your blog so he will believe me when i tell him that i am not the only one =) He picks on me about it all the time!

Rachel said...

Oh so you're a closet psycho like me? Thanks for sharing.... we should start some kind of AA type meetings or something.

Debra said...

wear shoes with spurs so you can kick them

~Tiffany said...

I am with you!! Whenever we watch things like this, I have panic attacks and FREAK myself out constantly! Glad to know I'm not the only one!! Thanks for the laugh though!!

Reggs said...

I am SO GLAD I'm not the only one that worries about people hiding my car and grabbing my ankles!!

And I wouldn't have even thought about leaving the water running, you are brilliant.

Amy said...

so it looks like it's a pretty common thing to think the way you do, when placed in similar situations......i'm not admitting to anything!

Anonymous said...

Do you line you keys in between each of your fingers so they look like spikey knuckles too and believe that it could actually make a difference? :)

Meggan Hayes said...

I read the first bit and thought...this is me! Seriously. Donnie and I watch a lot of CSI and I constantly find myself consciously recording my surroundings so if something happens I will be a good witness. so embarrassing...