Saturday, January 28, 2012

Not quite ready...


This past week I've been helping out at the elementary school in E's kindergarten classroom.  The first day I had Heidi with me she did awesome!  She sat at a table, answered questions, followed instructions and blended right in with the class.  I was thinking I had a super advanced three year old that I should petition to start school early. 

The second day was a different story.  I was leading a shape and color bingo game for the class while the teacher was doing one on one testing with the kids.  Heidi was sitting at a table in the front of the classroom.  I called out, "red-circle".  Heidi called out, "I have to pee!"  I asked E to take her to the bathroom so I could continue with the game.  A few minutes later they came back, Heidi stood in front of the class and unabashedly gave me a full report of her visit to the restroom. 

The next thing I knew, a teacher's aid knocked on the door with Heidi standing by her side.  She asked if this little lost girl belonged in the Kindergarten classroom because she was out wandering the halls.  I didn't even see her leave the room!  We were nearly done with the game when I glanced over at Heidi to make sure she was still in her seat.  She wasn't.  She was standing in the middle of the classroom holding her dress up around her waist and her tights and undies were pulled down around her ankles.

I ran over to her and asked, "What are you doing?!?"
Heidi, looking at me as if it were the most obvious thing in the world, answered, "I have to pee."
"In the middle of the classroom?!?"
Shoulder shrug.
I pulled up her undies, pulled down her dress and gently excused myself and my distracting child from the classroom...grateful I hadn't started an application for early admission.

No comments: