Sunday, December 25, 2011

Day 12-Merry Christmas

On the twelfth day of Christmas my gift to you from me is my favorite roll recipe...

Feather Rolls or Ingrid's Orange Rolls
(It is no surprise that this recipe also came from my MIL)

Mix and let stand
1/2 c warm water
2 T yeast
1 T sugar

1 c milk, scalded
1/2 c butter, melted in the milk
1/3 c sugar
2 t salt
2 eggs, well beaten
Mix and add into yeast mixture.  Beat in 4 1/2 c flour.  Let mix for several minutes.  The dough will be very sticky.  Cover and put it in the fridge overnight. 
 Two hours before eating, knead dough and divide in half.  Roll out each half into a rectangle.  Melt 1/2 c butter and stir in the zest of an orange.  Spread melted butter on dough, roll up, and cut into 12 rolls. 





Put the rolls in muffin tins and let rise a bit before baking in a 425 degree oven for 10-15 minutes. 

3 comments:

Laney said...

When you knead them the next day do you knead the dough in flour or just on a clean dry surface?

softhef said...

I actually don't knead it the next day. I just roll it out on a heavily floured surface. Or you can spray the counter with cooking spray.

Anonymous said...

i know, i'm WAY behind, but this is AMAZING! I'm not a huge fan of cinnamon rolls, but I *adore* orange rolls. I'm going to be testing this one out sooner than soon. my roommates won't even know what hit 'em ;)