Sunday, December 18, 2011

5th Recipe

On the 5th day of Christmas my gift to you from me is my fifth favorite recipe...

Sneaky Veggie Spaghetti Sauce
(I made up this recipe to sneak more veggies onto my kid's plate.  They loved it!)

1 onion, chopped
1 zucchini, chopped
1 summer squash, chopped
2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
olive oil
1-8 oz can tomato sauce
1-28 oz can diced tomatoes
1-6 oz tomato paste
salt
pepper
bay leaves

Saute onion, zucchini, summer squash and garlic in olive oil.  When soft, take off heat and pour into blender or food processor with 8 oz tomato sauce. 

In a large pot or crock pot, pour in puree, diced tomatoes and tomato paste.   Season with salt, pepper and bay leaves to taste.  Let simmer allowing flavors to blend... the longer the better.

If you have carnivores living in your house, you can add sausage and mushrooms, ground beef or ground turkey as well.

No comments: