Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Private Funding

Dear Newport Public Library,

I have been informed that you do not charge late fees on items check out from your facility.  I feel inclined to give you some personal information that may affect your establishment.  The only reason I have ever made any sort of attempt to return items in a timely manner in the past, was fear of having to take out a small loan in order to repay my delinquency.  Knowing that I have no chance of racking up embarrassing amounts of fines, my conscience has relaxed and put "returning books in a timely manner" much, MUCH farther down on my list. If the City of Newport ever decides to change this policy, I would most likely personally fund a new addition to the Public Library within a year as a result of my carelessness.  Until then, I will enjoy my books and movies, guilt free, for as many weeks as I want to...or for as long as it takes me to remember what I checked out and actually locate it, which could be months. 
Sincerely,
Shamelessly abusing the system in Newport

2 comments:

Camille said...

Wow! I think Hillsboro needs to adopt that policy. The reason why my family checks out only from my card is not because my kids don't have their own card--it's because their fines are over $10 and you have to keep them under $10 to use. The limit to how many items checked out on a card is 100 by the way--and you cannot use the automatic checker if you go over this number, so often we have to go to counter to a librarian and when we go over 100 in checkout, we tell them we have just returned a bunch of books (which is true, of course). Just thought I should confess my use and overuse of the library system too!

Amanda Davis said...

WOW! Do you know how much money I would save if our library did that!!! $100's a year I think! I would vote that into effect!!!