Friday, November 5, 2010

Secret Weapon

About a month ago as I was making one of our daily treks down to Waldport, I noticed a cop car sitting along side the road. As a knee jerk reaction, I stepped on my brakes as I passed him. I continued driving and about two minutes later saw the dreaded red and blue lights flashing in my rear view mirror. I pulled over onto the 28 inches of gravel along the side of the highway. To avoid being smeared across the road, the state trooper came to the passenger's side of the car. May I just note here that our windows don't roll down, so I had to open my door and reveal the shameful interior of my car. He kindly informed me that my driver's side brake light was out. When the state trooper asked to see my driver's license it only took me about twenty minutes to dig through all the garbage that constantly seems to accumulate on the floor of my car, just to get to my purse. I finally found my driver's license and cringed as I handed it over because I still have my license from Iowa. (What? We only have 30 days to switch it over? I thought it was 30 months...) Then that poor, unsuspecting state trooper asked for my car registration and proof of insurance.



Are you familiar with the prank where you offer someone a fake can of peanuts and when the other person opens the can, snakes pop out and scare said person half to death? Well, opening my glove box was a very similar experience except instead of snakes, tampons. I don't know how this came to be, but there were literally tampons falling out of my glove box, onto my seat and out my open car door. I was trying to dig through the tampons for my car registration and remaining shred of dignity while the state trooper was dodging flying feminine hygiene products and turning six shades of red. When I finally found it (my registration...not my dignity) I shoved it at him and mumbled a sorry and he took it and ran back to his car. By the time he came back I had shoved all the tampons back into my glove box back and had frozen my face into a facade of innocence. Mr. State Trooper had returned to his natural coloring and was willing to play along with my "We didn't just share the most embarrassing moment of your career" game. He gave me back my license and registration and let me off with a verbal warning, very happy to send me on my merry little way.

No comments: