Friday, July 2, 2010

Dough

When baking bread I've always stuck pretty close to my original recipe, unlike cooking pretty much anything else where I just throw in whatever sounds good at the moment. Yesterday, however, I was at my friend's house and we decided to make bread sticks. I didn't have a recipe so I made one up and might I say it was really really good! I just used it again today, with a few minor variations, to make cinnamon rolls. So here it is.

Bread sticks

1 c warm water
2 T instant yeast
2 T sugar
Proof

1/4 c butter
1 c milk
Scald together

2 eggs
1 t salt
6 c flour

Mix together yeast/water and 2 eggs. Mix in 1 cup flour and then pour in the milk and butter. Stir in salt and remaining flour 1 cup at a time.

Form into bread sticks. Sprinkle with onion powder, garlic salt and Italian seasoning. Bake at 375 for 15-ish minutes until brown. At the last minute, sprinkle liberally with cheese to make them extra delicious.

Cinnamon Rolls
Follow recipes as above except add 2 additional T sugar with the flour.

Roll out to a large rectangle. Spread with butter. Mix together 1/2 c brown sugar and 1 T cinnamon. Cover dough. Roll up and cut into 1 inch rolls. Bake at 375 for 20-ish minutes until golden brown.

No comments: