Sunday, July 24, 2011

Working

I've been neglecting my blog.  All of my creativity has been sucked out every other facet of my life and syphoned into the Nye Beach Market where I've been working this summer.
I love, love, love working there...and I'm not just saying that because my boss reads my blog.  (Hi Judy!)

I have learned SO much since the beginning of the summer.  I can now flip eggs in a pan without a spatula.  Oh yeah.  I also learned how to make polenta, biscuits and gravy, clam chowder and I'm perfecting and inventing new scones every day.  I can also make Huevos Rancheros (this picture is Judy's...but she taught me how.)  :)

The down side of working around food is that I'm around it so much that I forget to buy it for my own home.  I get into my own kitchen and expect to see all the food I know is in the fridge at work.  I can't even tell you how many times I've thought, "I KNOW we just bought butter!"  and then I remember...that was for the Market. 

On the up side, I've tried lots of new food and learned many great  new recipes.  It's so fun working with Judy because we cook alike.  As in...we make everything up and don't measure stuff.  Everyday you will hear this conversation.
Me-"Judy, how much (insert ingredient here) do we need for this recipe?"
Judy- "Some"
Me-I throw "some" into the pot
Judy will either say, "That looks about right" or "Add some more"

One difference in our cooking style is that she ALWAYS remembers to set the timer.  Me...not so much.  One day I made a sour cream coffee cake and put it in the oven.  We had a breakfast rush and when it was over I remembered the cake!  I pulled the cake out of the oven and it was BLACK!

Judy took one look at it and said, "We'll just say it's Southern Blackened Cake and serve it with shrimp and okra."  (Did I mention we have the same sense of humor?)  I'm really not trying to schmooze my boss here...I just really love her.  We have so much fun together!

Hey Judy, can I have a raise?  Just kidding. 
Can I?
;)

4 comments:

Julia Shinkle said...

Shar it sounds like this job is going to be a life altering experience...seriously! You have a future in the culinary (sp?) arts definately!

blim4evans said...

Shar I am incredibly insanely jealous of you. that is all

Rory Baxter said...

when did you go to work? What are the girls up to? How did all of this come about?

Please do share all of your fun. I have been trying to talk with Kaeli about all of the wonderful things she can do with her talents in cooking and that culinary school is education too. I am sure she would love to hear all about your fun times and new learning and using talents to have fun with food stuff!

Keep us posted on how you are doing!

Anonymous said...

hilarious. i'm with ya, lady. i cook for the family i work for and the last thing i want to do is complete a delicious meal....and then walk out the door and start all over at my own house post 5:30pm. ugh. my poor boyfriend gets the shaft as far as cooking goes.