Friday, September 9, 2011

Girls Camp

Since January I have been on a committee at church putting together a girls camp that took place the last week of July this year.  Young women ages 12-18 from Newport, Corvallis, Waldport and Philomath all attended.  I think there ended up being around 110 girls plus 40-ish adults in attendance. 

My part of the planning was arranging a service project and, you'll never guess....the crafts.  :)  I got in contact with a local non-profit organization called The Children's Advocacy Center.  It is a center that provides counseling and teaches skills to children and families that deal with abuse/abandonment issues.  It is a fantastic organization that does SO much for the community. 

Our service project was building a play house to put on their property.  We actually, ended up building a second one to leave at Camp Alpine. 

This is a picture of Elaine and me, gracefully hammering on the roof. 

A group of girls moving one of the houses to the trailer, after securing the walls to the foundation.

The beautiful finished product!!!!!

For crafts, I wanted to do something productive as well as fun.  The girls cut out and assembled sets of emotion cards to be given to families in therapy in the CAC.  Then they all made file folder games to be used in play therapy at the CAC as well. 

Making the file folder games.


Making the emotion cards.

For the "just for fun" crafts, the girls made flower hair bows and washer necklaces.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

You did such an awesome job! The house is so cute and making that the emotion cards to benefit the kids is a perfect way for the girls to be involved. Way to use your talents, missy! If I ever get called to do something like this, I know who I'm asking for help. :)

ayoungblut said...

love the washer necklace. I must learn how to do that. I think my grandkids would love it!