Wednesday, February 16, 2011

All you need is LOVE

As I sat on my living room floor, on February 14th, pulling a massive hair ball out of my vacuum I couldn't help but chuckle as I thought of how our celebration of Valentine's Day had morphed over the past ten years.  Of course our first one together was full of romance, dinner at the beach and watching the sunset over the ocean.  The next V-day I was gigantically pregnant and things only got more chaotic from there. 


As I reflected on the way things once were, I started feeling a bit of sadness that it couldn't be the same.  And after about thirteen seconds of that I realized that I now had four MORE people to love with all my heart!  I decided to embrace the day and steal my friend Stacy's tradition of having Valentine's dinner as a family; complete with sparkling cider and chocolate dipped strawberries. 

I had already agreed to let Naomi make the meal, so we enjoyed "Hogs in sleeping bags" and fruit salad.  We decorated the table and drank "fizzy" out of real glasses.  During dinner we had an impromptu session of "I love you because..." and we all took turns filling each other up with kind words and compliments.  It was a wonderful evening and I'm so grateful to the man I love for being the father of these four beautiful girls that I get to squeeze and kiss and love on every day.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Great post, Shar.

Anonymous said...

Valentine's Day is the best! Hooray for chocolate covered strawberries. :)

Debra said...

So cute. I thought I was the only one that got massive hairballs in the vacuum. Hate that!

Amanda Davis said...

We celebrate pretty closely the same way... it's a family affiar. I even use a table cloth, nice dishes....

Stacy said...

So fun! We did ours tonight since I wasn't feeling good on Valentine's Day. Man... we started this tradition back when Eden was around 18 months old, so about 7 years ago. It's so fun looking through the old pictures! Each year we seem to tweak something and make it better or more memorable. The kids absolutely LOVE this family tradition. It came about when talking about how everyone and their uncle goes out and every place is packed. I thought... why not have a special evening of love with all those that I love and at that time it was Ed, Oliver and Eden! So glad it's stayed a tradition through the last several years! :O)

We finally got through a dinner without a wine glass breaking! You'd think it was a jewish wedding or something! ;o)