Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A Stange Obsession


Oh Naomi. Every night that girl throws a fit about brushing her teeth. The reason is usually that we don't have the right kind of toothpaste. She refuses to use regular toothpaste, "spitting toothpaste" because she thinks it's disgusting to spit. (Honestly, I have no idea where this kid came from.)
So I bought her "kid toothpaste". Naomi is SO picky about the flavor. I'm pretty sure I have purchased at least one of every kind of children's toothpaste ever made. Berry Bubble, Watermelon, Bubble Gum, Fruit Blast, Fruity Bubble Burst, you name it, we've tried it. She's been brushing her teeth with only water the past week, and I figure something is better than nothing. But tonight Naomi informed me that if I bought her the High School Musical toothpaste, she would brush tomorrow. I'm fairly confident that I'm being manipulated by a five year old. But in the end, I'd rather buy Naomi a two dollar tube of toothpaste than a whole new set of teeth.

2 comments:

Wolfley Family said...

Just so you don't feel bad.... we've had two pediatric dentists tell us now that if they'll brush longer with just a wet toothbrush (and help her floss a few times a week), that'll do more for them than brushing a shorter time with toothpaste (because their mouth fills up with suds so quickly that they stop brushing too soon).... if they can use toothpaste once or twice a week, that's fine but just encourage her to brush longer with water.... anyway, that's what we've done with Chase until we could get him to use toothpaste regularly...

Debra said...

As someone who has paid for A LOT of root canals and crowns, you DEFINITELY want to buy the toothpaste!