Saturday, July 4, 2009

silver falls

Lars and myself in front of one of the waterfalls

Becca and Me

Heidi and me under the waterfall


Naomi-notice the shoes...this is important later

Leah

Yaya being "Pink Girl" and yes, those are goulashes

Naomi and Leah hand in hand

This waterfall we decided to hike under was one of the easier trails. Since we had three adults we brought three strollers assuming this would make the hike back up easier. You know, hikes are always a good idea on the way down...Anyway, we made it down and under the water fall. It is such a beautiful area. At the bottom Lars wanted to continue on to the next water fall that was half a mile ahead. I was a bit apprehensive, but we all pressed on for about 1/10th of a mile as the paved walk way gradually turned into dirt with rocks jutting up all over. Eventually our caravan came to a halt as pushing the strollers became nearly impossible and was causing mild whiplash for those who were riding in them. Becca and I decided that we would just start back up with the girls and Lars could go on to the other waterfall and catch up with us on his way back. So Lars went on and we turned around, Me in the front pushing Heidi, Naomi walking behind, Leah pushing the empty stroller and Becca pulling up the rear with Yaya in her stroller.
After about two minutes I glanced back behind me to see Leah had quickly abandoned the idea of pushing the stroller over the rocks and was lounging, eating pretzels. Becca had folded the stroller and was trying to push Yaya and pull the stroller which wasn't really working either. By this time Naomi was nearly in tears because her shoes that she just HAD to wear (because they matched her outfit) were hurting her feet. No kidding, they were a full size too small, but I guess in her book fashion beat out function. So I ended up putting the folded stroller on the top of my stroller, Naomi on my back and continued pushing Heidi up the trail.
One minute later I hear a sigh from Naomi as she said wistfully, "I wish I was a pioneer. Their clothes are so much better than ours." Yeah. No thanks. One haul up the mountain pushing a stroller and carrying a 45 pound kid on my back was enough for me. I would make a lousy pioneer.
After we made it back up to the top we picnicked next to a nice little stream that we played in to cool down. It was such a lovely afternoon.


Leah, Me, Heidi, Becca, Yaya and Naomi

Me and the Heidi baby

1 comment:

Alli said...

I love Silver Falls - looks like you guys had a great time.