Thursday, July 30, 2009

Clearly I have a problem


So today at the store I was in line checking out. Naomi was with me and Heidi was sitting in the front of the cart. She started wiggling around and then stood up. I had a tight grip on her shirt and I wasn't worried because the kid has great balance. She's been walking for a full month now. Anyway, I was running my card through the machine (and still holding on to Heidi) when I heard two ladies yelling. I'm used to hearing little people yelling so my natural instinct is to tune it out. But it is also my natural instinct to tune back in when I hear someone yell "mom!" And the next thing I heard was one of them yelling, "Mom!! You're baby is going to fall out of your cart!!!" I looked around for some poor child who must be dangling from the cart by his toenails, or some tragedy that would solicit such a reaction from these women. Nope. They were yelling and pointing at me and my baby who was standing very safely in my cart. Unfortunately my defensive instincts took over at that point and I shot them a dirty look and said, "I have it under control." I finished my transaction and exited the store.

Here's my problem. Rather than assuming that these women, although completely spazy and overreacting, had my best interest at heart, I assumed they thought I was completely incompetent and couldn't figure out how to take care of my own kid. In their defense, they probably couldn't see my iron fisted grip on the back of her shirt. And yes, I was probably rude and could have thanked them for very obviously bringing this perceived safety hazard to my attention...but I just got mad. Is this just a primal motherly instinct? Am I the only one with this problem? Am I just amazingly insecure? What would you have done?

5 comments:

Debra said...

I think that's sorta like when you are driving and someone does some idiot thing and you make a nasty face at them...but then when you are the one driving that does the idiot thing and other people give you dirty looks, you are annoyed. Welcome to the world of mortality. I bet it's more interesting than Heaven, though...lol

meghan said...

ME! =0)

Alli said...

I've had the same reaction in the same situation. 7 times out of 10 I politely thank them but the other 3, watch out, I'm in a foul mood and I don't want anyone's "help"

Leslie said...

I would have done the same thing. I guess I have a problem too.

Amy said...

we must be related.