Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Life Lessons


Lesson 1: Babies and cherries...bad.
Lesson 2: A three year old and gobs of toilet paper...bad. Lesson 3: The phone always rings at the least convenient moment

Last week I went cherry picking with my friend. I spread out a blanket and put miss Heidi baby on the ground while I was picking cherries. I filled one bowl and put it down while I filled another. Well, miss Heidi sampled a cherry and decided it was probably the best thing she had ever eaten. I came back to check on her and discovered that she had eaten half of my bowl of cherries, pits and all. It was probably close to a pound. Now, when you consider she weighs 20 lbs, that's a lot of cherries! No kid need that much roughage.

The next day my friend stopped by and we were standing on my front step chatting when the cherries completed their course through Heidi's digestive system. There are some things a diaper just doesn't stand a chance against. At the same moment Yaya came out of the house crying, "I spilled some water in the bathroom." I told her to grab a towel and wipe it up. She started crying harder and through her tears tried to explain the severity of the situation. "I spilled water from the toilet." So I asked Leah to help her in the bathroom and I would be there in a minute. Leah came running back out holding a wash cloth and yelled, "The toilet is spilling out and it's going to get the carpet wet!"

So my friend left and I ran to the bathroom, threw every bath towel in the closet down on the floor to stop the stream of water from the toilet before it could soak the carpet. I put the Heidi baby in the bathtub because there are just some things wipes don't stand a chance against either. She stood there and screamed while I dug out a plunger I didn't even know we had and plunged a half roll of t.p. down the toilet. I'm not sure why, with buns as small as hers, that Yaya feels the need to use so much toilet paper...but she does. And at that most inopportune moment, while I was plunging, mopping, bathing and changing a baby...the phone rang. How does that always happen?

4 comments:

Reggs said...

Shar, you always have me laughing. This post was so true to life, the poop, the toilet over-flowing, the soaked carpet. I laugh and cringe along with you!

Debra said...

lol...I would not even want to know what that diaper looked like. Ewwww!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me laugh again. :)

Alli said...

That sounds a lot like LIFE, doesn't it!?