Thursday, May 20, 2010

Gypsies


Lars has just passed his cumulative exams which means he has technically passed all his courses for his master's degree. I can't say I was too nervous about it since he has a cumulative GPA of 3.98. Lars will still be teaching all his classes at the high school the remainder of the school year as well as putting together a second 70 page work study sample. That is due June 1st. It will be a relief not to have any more formal assignments, but then starts the stress of joining the "real world". You know, when people actually expect you to contribute to society and donate money to the local fire department. We're already several months into the job searching process. The challenging thing about finding a teaching position in Oregon (beside the fact that there just aren't any) is that they often don't come available until July or August.

After much discussion, we have decided to also look overseas. We're looking at everything and everywhere. It's been fun to explore the different parts of the world on line and I really really hope we can do so in person. I never moved growing up, but as soon as I graduated from High School I've been a bit of a gypsy wandering all over the states. In fact, we've lived here for two years and that is the LONGEST we've ever been in one house. I'm getting antsy to go.

I do have mixed feelings about it since the girls are so comfortable here and we have the most amazing friends and support group. I would miss them tons and tons, but we can always come back...right? I just feel like the girls are all still at ages where they will transition and adapt easily. I'm just looking for an adventure!

4 comments:

Julia Shinkle said...

You know that Steph, Jac and I aren't afraid to travel...so we can just as easily have girls night out in Paris or Italy...no prob. Good Luck with all the planning...but I hope you guys get to stay.

Laney said...

What a fun adventure! I hope your family gets to go someplace super fun.

Amanda Davis said...

I hope you get to stay. Just buy a house here and then it will feel like moving! There are a few on our side of the tracks that are perfect I am sure and very close to our house!

Wolfley Family said...

I'm all about the gypsy way of life - maybe it's why the military works so well for us ;) Also, like you, the longest we've ever liveatd an address (since I turned 18) was 2 weeks shy of two years... and trust me, I was ready to go!! :)) Your girls will do well wherever you go and you are so awesome, you'll make good friends wherever you are!