Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Powder Puff



We went out to eat tonight. The girls did well, and ate well, including every drop of an ice cream sunday each. Their sugar consumption was greatly interfering with our bedtime routine. After stubborn refusals to brush teeth, the repeated "I need a drink", "I need to go to the bathroom" cycle, bouncing on the beds when they were supposed to be relaxing we finally got prayers said and lights off.

Did it stop there? Oh no. Emilia was coming out every four seconds to report that Naomi was breathing too loudly, that she needed help with her blanket, that she needed another drink, that she needed a hug, that she needed a kiss... My responses were getting more clipped and less sympathetic each time her cute little face emerged from the room. (It's really hard to get mad at that kid, she's so cute.)

Then Naomi picked up where Yaya left off with complaints of Emilia making monster sounds, and Emilia telling her there were monsters in the walls, and can I watch you work on your art project... So finally I had to go in and deliver the ultimate threat. "If you come out of your bedroom again you will not be going to your friend's house tomorrow." They both got in bed and promptly calmed down. I walked out of the room but heard Yaya getting out of her bed. So I turned around just in time to see Naomi leap out of her bed and tackle Emilia to the ground, sit on top of her, and warn her, "If you go out there we can't go to our friend's house tomorrow!" Poor Yaya, stood up a bit shaken and started wimpering, "That was scary!" and then crawled back into bed. It's been quiet ever since.

5 comments:

Leslie said...

Hilarious!

ellsworth family said...

Ha ha ha! Your kids crack me up!

John Boyack said...

Thanks for making me feel normal! Looking forward to lunch! Wendy

The Busy Beez said...

I love your blog! Your stories are the best! Your kids are awesome.

Rachel said...

That's so funny. You'd think you had a couple of little boys or something :).....but now that I think about it, it sounds a lot like me and my sisters when we were little.