Friday, April 13, 2012

Ask Steve and Blue...they know what to do!



H was watching Blue's Clues this morning while I was in the kitchen having my morning panic attack about how much I wanted to get done today and how it never seems like I can focus on one thing long enough to actually be productive.  Then the catchy little theme song floated in from the living room, "...'Cause when we use our minds and take one step at a time,
We can do any THING... that we wanna do!"

If you've ever watched the show you know that Steve is basically an idiot...not to mention that he has a bad "mom" hair cut.  However, I think he's on to something here with the whole take one step at a time idea.




If you were to draw a map of my general pattern of functioning it would look like this.
Here's why.
7 a.m. I wake up and roll out of bed.
Walk out of my bedroom and groan at the general state of chaos around me.
Step over shoes, clothes, and hairbrushes on my way to the kitchen to make sack lunches.
Take out the bread and peanut butter.
Realize there is not clean knife in the drawer, so I open the dishwasher and start unloading it.
N asks me for her lunch so I stop unloading the dishes and finish making her lunch.
Send N out to the bus stop.
On my way back to the finish unloading the dishwasher I notice E has left her jacket on the floor.
I pick it up and bring it to the laundry room.
I realize there is a load of clothes in the washer that I forgot to switch from three days ago.
I dump in 2 cups of laundry soap, pray the clothes haven't molded together and start the washer.
I open the dryer and start to fold the clothes.
I find a quarter in the dryer and bring it to the kitchen to put in the change jar.
Once again, I see the dishwasher open and go to finish unloading it. 
As I'm putting dishes away I keep stepping on Cheerios, cringing with each crunch.
I take a break from the dishes and employ the broom.
While sweeping I find seven hair ties on the floor.
I bring the hair ties to the bathroom and gag at the sight of crusted toothpaste all over the sink.
Immediately I bust out the Scrubbing Bubbles and Magic Eraser.
Once my sink is clean, the mirror looks even dirtier than before.
I go into the laundry room to get the Windex and realize I never finished folding the clothes.
The rest of the clothes get folded and I bring them to the girls bedrooms.
Their drawers are so packed full of wadded up clothes that I can't put the clean ones in.
Naturally, I have to dump out all of the drawers, sort, fold and organize all their clothes.
I bring a stack of clothes that don't fit anymore out to the living room to take to Good Will.
When I pass the kitchen I see the dishwasher still sitting open with dishes in it.
I go back to the sink and start loading dirty dishes into the dishwasher.
Those dishes in the dishwasher were dirty, weren't they???
(Does anyone else have this problem or do I need to get medicated for a case of adult onset ADD?)
By this time it's only 8:45, I have five half-finished projects and I'm supposed to be able to sit down with L and focus on doing home school with her. 

So when I heard this silly little tune float in, "'Cause when we use our minds and take one step at a time,We can do any THING... that we wanna do!"  I thought, that is EXACTLY what I need to do...  one thing at a time, start to finish, without distraction.  But HOW??!?

This is the part where I give you all of my fantastic discoveries of all the great things I have found that work for me and then give a testimonial of how drastically my life has improved, boasting of my immaculate home and perfect organization.  Well, I just gave you a really great run-on sentence.  That's about all I have to offer at the moment. 

Does anyone have any fantastic life changing advise for me?  I need help!








2 comments:

meghan said...

no advice. just complete and utter understanding. i thought maybe you put a camera in my house or something :0)

Angela said...

I struggle with this too. I've tried Fly Lady, and Blogger advice. The best advice I can share is discipline. As contrary as it is to your artistic nature, you need a routine. It is not ground breaking news I realize...