Saturday, April 2, 2011

Unhealthy Attachments?

I'm beginning to think the miss Heidi may have some serious attachment disorders. 
First of all, she sucks her thumb. 
Secondly, she carries "Pink Blankie" with her everywhere.  Yes, she named her blanket. 
Third, she has recently started carrying "Berry Pillow" with her as well.  And yes, she also named her pillow with the Strawberry Shortcake pillowcase (which I am never allowed to remove). 
Fourth, she will ONLY sleep in her "Green Bed" which is a port-a-crib that she's been in since birth.  Her head now touches one end and her feet hit the other so I packed it up and put it under her big girl bed.  She refuses to sleep in another bed and now sleeps on the floor, next to "green bed". 
Fifth, Heidi will only wear ONE dress.  It is her pink dress with flowers on it.  She calls is "Blue Dress."  I call it her "Skins" because it is like removing part of her body if I ever want to wash it.  And clearly, as the picture above demonstrates, she REALLY doesn't like it when I wash her dress.  Today I had to open the washing machine lid twice to reassure her it was still in there and pull it out of the dryer three different times so she would be at ease about the whole process.
Should I be worried?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Barrett is kind of like that and I've wondered the same thing. He has his "bubba" lovey that he wants to take everywhere, he cried when we took down his crib (refuses to sleep on his pillow and sleeps sideways in his bed which is plastic...THAT doesn't seem comfortable), and he would wear his cars shirt every single day if I'd let him (as evidenced by his most recent 4 days and nights stint). We both know you're quite more laid back about most things than I am, so maybe the differences are just bc of what we each tolerate. I do wonder at times if its all normal, but I also know that Bear tends to be a little on the high anxiety side of things...not very adaptable, needs time to mentally prepare for changes, etc (but he's also very curious, loving, and sensitive). Shar, I barely know what's normal anymore! I guess if he's growing and adjusting then he's doing alright. ??

Rory Baxter said...

Do know that your little miss is perfectly normal. We went through similar things with ALL of my kiddos and their attachments to "lovies". I used to have little people literally stand in front of the washer/dryer bawling until a favorite something would come out. Preston's mom came for a visit one time and she tried to discard "old, ratty" blankets (none of the kids in preston's family ever had such things) and the big girls went berzerk because those "old, ratty" blankets were their beloved baby blankets that they still have tucked away! I had a really hard time explaining that one to Preston's mom..
With Ky, he had EIGHT different "rags" (cloth diapers that he glommed onto very early in life) that I interchanged to keep the hysterics at bay. Now he has more lovies than there is usually room on his bed.
The kids eventually grow out of the sleeping on the floor thing too. I used to find Ceana in the most unlikely places - all of which were on the floor, usually nowhere near her bed....Kels is currently in that stage as well. She has several blankets that she has to be tucked in with "just so" and totally flips when you dont hold to HER routine. This routine includes sleeping on the floor, not the wonderful double bed that is currently in her room.
This too shall pass...and it is awesome that you are finding the humorous side of all of life's challenges. The girls will look back on all of these wonderful posts and you will laugh together -esp when they have girls of their own doing the exact same things :)
Thanx for always sharing your wonderful perspective.