Tuesday, April 19, 2011

an amazing gift

Ten years ago when Lars and I got married, my sister Stephanie started this quilt for our wedding present.  She finished it last week :)  Over the years this has kind of been a running joke.  I'll talk about wanting to paint my bedroom and buy a new comforter and she will say, "Don't do it!  I'm working on your quilt!"  So I never did.  We have been using Lars's ugly (but very comfy) blanket that he had on his bed all through high school.

My sister Steph in now pregnant with her seventh baby and still managed to finish this quilt.  I was SO excited to get it in the mail today!!!  You can ask anyone, I don't get emotionally attached to many things.  Art work and of course photos are about all I would care to save in a fire...but this blanket is now on the list.  It came with a history!  I could be leaving some places out, but I know that the pieces of this quilt have moved with my sister from Iowa, to Missouri, to New York, back to Missouri, to Colorado and back to Iowa.  Steph has somehow found time and for some reason made it a priority to piece this blanket together amidst home schooling her six children, moving, gardening, cooking, cleaning, traveling, being a mother, daughter, auntie, sister and friend. 

I'm not even coming close to expressing how much love I feel from this gift from my sister whom I love and admire so much.  I am so blessed to have a relationship with such an amazing woman, to know of her love for me, and to have it expressed so beautifully in this quilt. Thank you my sister for sewing all of those feelings, emotions and experiences into my blanket.  I LOVE it and I love you.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Yeah! Happy Day, I love you too! You are the best!

Amanda Davis said...

AMAZING!

Debra said...

She is amazing. Love that girl. Love you, too! Enjoy it!