Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Demise of the Camera

Yesterday E asked me if she could take some pictures with the camera.  I said sure as this is not an uncommon request.  A few minutes later L came upstairs crying with the camera lens jammed, unable to fully open or close.  E was hanging out in the shadows...gauging our reaction before admitting to any part of the crime.  Thankfully Lars was  home and dealt with the situation because honestly I didn't care.  We bought the camera when E was born and truly it was just a matter of time before it bit the dust.  L and E just happened to be the unfortunate ones holding the thing when it died.

Lars asked L what happened and she tearfully explained that E was trying to take a picture of her and she didn't want E to take one, so she put her hand out and "barely touched the camera" and it jammed.  At this point E thought she was getting off scot-free, but Lars called her over and told them he was disappointed that they were treating the camera as a toy and because of their carelessness it was now broken.  Both girls burst into tears and he dismissed them to their bedrooms to think about it. 

About a minute later, L came upstairs and handed Lars a note. 
Lars called both the girls back upstairs and he told L he was proud of her for accepting responsibility, feeling remorse and then offering to fix the problem if she could.  He suggested they ask me if there were any chores they could do to earn some money.  I just happened to have two neglected bathrooms that are now squeaky clean thanks to L and E :). 

I was very grateful that Lars took the opportunity to turn that mishap into a learning experience.

5 comments:

Julia Shinkle said...

Your girls are so sweet. Bummer about the camera. I hear that canon power shots are nice when you go shopping for a new one.

baileymom said...

If you like point-and-shoot cameras, I love my Canon A3100. Reasonably priced, reasonably good pictures. Good luck. I had some moisture at the corner of my eye when reading that note. Precious!

Leslie said...

Dude! Lars did an AWESOME job with that one!!

Michelle said...

Oh, so precious, she's so thoughtful -- I love it!

Debra said...

Love it! They can come clean my bathrooms and earn some money, too!