Monday, August 2, 2010

laundry options



Laundry is one arena that I enthusiatically agree with my brother-in-law Norm. Why do kids even have clothes? A burlap bag with two holes for arms and one for a head is much more practical. Then when the kid gets dirty, you can just hose them down and get bathing and laundry done at the same time.

Unfortunately, my vanity won't allow me to act practically and therefore my punishment is laundry. I suppose if I were to do a load of laundry each day, I could easily stay on top of it. But I'm just not that kind of gal. I would much rather close the laundry room door and ignore it until everyone is complaining that they don't have any clean underwear. Only then do I tackle the inevitable.

Recently I have adopted a new way of doing things. Since I usually find my beautiful piles of meticulously folded laundry scattered all over the floor and occassionally back in the dirty laundry bin...still folded...I have decided to relinquish my obsessive need for perfectly folded laundry and let the girls do it themselves. (Applause please.)

Not only have I decided to let them fold their own clothes, I even give them the option to not fold it and just cram it in their drawers (because that's how it all ends up anyway). So now after the laundry comes out of the dryer, I make four piles on the floor and each girl just has to get them out of my sight.

The other day Leah and Naomi took care of their clothes while Yaya, of course, was writhing on the ground in tears that I asked her to do something. Naomi came out and said to Yaya very matter of factly, "Yaya, just pick up all your clothes and chuck 'em in your drawer. That's what I did!"

No comments: