Monday, December 22, 2008

Oh the weather outside is frightful...

A tree branch in our front yard weighed down to the ground with ice.
Pine needles coated with ice

Our plant out front


Our grass



Everything had an inch of ice on it




Well, Leah's winter break started a week early. School was canceled every day last week. She was very excited until Friday when she realized there would be no holiday party and sing-along. We missed church again, but this time for a true fear of never making it home. We've had snow and ice and rain with random freezings and thawings in there. Now, growing up in Iowa I consider myself to be a competent driver in these conditions. The difference here is that I don't think this town (or the one next to it) owns a snow plow. Only a few people venture out each day so the snow on the streets gets packed down just enough to make it pure ice, but never enough to wear it off down to the pavement. So even I have been avoiding driving as much as possible. We have been planning on going up to Portland for Christmas, but we may have to revise our plans...I guess we'll see. Here are a few pictures of our latest ice storm. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wrote about the same thing! The city said they owned 75 plows but we haven't seen a single one. It's a mess up here even for us seasoned Idahoans! Stay safe!

Michael & Wendy Mecham said...

Shar, I found you! I am so glad that you have decided to update your blog. We are still in Rexburg and we have a lot of snow. I think we got at least 12" in the last 24 hours and it is still coming. My kids have been loving it! I will post some picture on my blog later. Merry Christmas!

Wight Family said...

Shar, I love your pics! I had time to blog cruise while sitting around in HI last week and the pics of the snow really brought home to us! I hope ya'll were able to dig out and get out of the house occasionally over this holiday! Crazy weather! But we need it I guess!

Merry Christmas!
Vicki