Friday, March 16, 2012

Color Curriculum

My latest project has been putting together a curriculum for a six-week after school art program.

I am going to take this curriculum to the elementary and offer to teach an after school art class.  I have had so much fun putting this together, learning about artists and coming up with projects!  Next week I am going to practice my first lesson in a kindergarten and 2nd grade class.  this will give me a better idea of skill level, interest, timing etc.etc.etc. that you can only learn by doing. 

This curriculum is all about COLOR!
Week 1:  Introducing color- Primary, Secondary, Tertiary, warm and cool
Week 2:  Creating an illusion of blended colors with Pointillism-Artist: Georges Seurat 
Week 3:  Complimentary Colors in Pop Art- Artist: Andy Warhol
Week 4:  Color and Emotion- Artist: Vassily Kandinsky
Week 5:  Color without form-Surrealism-Artist: Jackson Pollock
Week 6:  Color without association-Artist: Henry Matisse

I've tried out the first two lessons on my kids and have been impressed with their work and excitement about the artists so far. 

Leah's color wheel

Leah's "warm and cool" flowers

What do you think?  As a parent would you be excited about this curriculum for your child?

2 comments:

blim4evans said...

Yes that is really awesome!

Angela said...

I would! One thing I have learned in teaching art lit is that when you think something is simple enough, try again. If Heidi can do it, then just maybe 3rd graders who have limited exposure to anything remotely crafty or artsy might be able to do it, with a lot of hand holding. (please note the cynicism) It's good of you to take on the challenge of adding to the curriculum. :)